Bud Light Faces Backlash for Partnering with Transgender TikTok Star: Exploring the Debate over Corporate Social Responsibility and Inclusivity
Bud Light, a beer brand owned by Anheuser-Busch, recently faced backlash for partnering with transgender TikTok star Dylan Mulvaney. Mulvaney revealed on social media that Bud Light sent her a personalized beer can with her surgically feminized face printed on it to celebrate her “365 Days of Girlhood.” The controversy led to calls for a boycott of the brand, with country singer Travis Tritt and conservative politicians like Rep. Dan Crenshaw (R-Tex.) urging people to stop buying Anheuser-Busch products. Bud Light’s parent company, Anheuser-Busch, has long supported LGBTQ+ organizations and events, but the backlash has highlighted the ongoing debate over corporate social responsibility and the role of companies in promoting diversity and inclusion. In response, Anheuser-Busch CEO Brendan Whitworth released a statement saying the company never intended to be part of a discussion that divides people and that they are in the business of bringing people together over a beer. Bud Light VP Alissa Heinerscheid, who recently appeared on the Make Yourself at Home podcast, said that reaching a new audience is crucial for the brand and that her goal is to “evolve and elevate” the brand by focusing on inclusivity. Meanwhile, Mulvaney has faced backlash for partnering with other brands like Nike, with Caitlyn Jenner criticizing the sports apparel company for endorsing Mulvaney, who is not a current or former athlete.
0. “Anheuser-Busch Rep Bragged About Using Company To Push DEI” The Federalist, 11 Apr. 2023, https://thefederalist.com/2023/04/11/top-anheuser-busch-official-previously-bragged-about-using-companys-brands-to-push-dei-onto-consumers/
1. “Bud Light uproar exposes need for marketers to manage marketer influencer controversies” Digiday, 14 Apr. 2023, https://digiday.com/marketing/marketers-should-prepare-to-manage-controversy-with-influencer-marketing-efforts/
2. “Anheuser-Busch breaks silence after Bud Light’s Dylan Mulvaney controversy” Fox Business, 14 Apr. 2023, https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/anheuser-busch-breaks-silence-bud-lights-dylan-mulvaney-controversy
3. “Bud Light’s inclusive ad campaigns are good for business, experts say” CNN, 13 Apr. 2023, https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/12/business/bud-light-dylan-mulvaney/index.html
4. “Anheuser-Busch CEO responds to uproar over Dylan Mulvaney sponsorship” The Hill, 14 Apr. 2023, https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/3951299-anheuser-busch-ceo-responds-to-uproar-over-dylan-mulvaney-sponsorship/