Ford Issues Safety Recall for 1.28 Million Fusion and Lincoln MKZ Sedans
Ford has issued a safety recall for 1.28 million Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ sedans sold in the U.S. due to faulty brake fluid hoses that could rupture, requiring more distance to stop the vehicles and “increasing the risk of a crash,” according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Approximately 1.2 million Ford Fusions and 113,000 Lincoln MKZs manufactured between the years 2013 and 2018 are subject to this issue.
The specific problem lies with front brake jounce hoses – the rubber hoses that connect metal brake lines to the caliper. The recall states that these hoses may rupture when exposed to continuous articulation and steering movements over a period of time. The recall documentation indicates that the hoses were only exposed to 88 percent of the total range of motion during lifecycle testing.
“A brake fluid leak will increase brake pedal travel and extend the distance needed to stop the vehicle, increasing the risk of [a] crash,” the NHTSA said in the recall notice.
The NHTSA stated that, in addition to a shift in the braking response of vehicles affected, a brake fluid warning light on the dashboard may be illuminated if a leak is identified.
The solution to the problem is an easy one. Owners will not incur a charge for dealers to replace the faulty brake hose. On April 17th, Ford notified owners via USPS mail. It is hoped that the fix will be successful this time.
If you have any questions regarding recall 23S12, Ford can be contacted at 1-866-436-7332, and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) can be Cars made between February 3, 2012 and July 19, 2017 were impacted.
Customers will not be charged for the replacement of brake hoses in cars affected by the issue, which is great news! It is said that the new hoses are more durable than the ones they are replacing. Ford will reimburse you for any brake hose replacements you may have had prior to this recall, up until August 31st, 2023. If you own one of these vehicles and haven’t replaced the brake hoses, it’s a good idea to contact your local Ford dealership to determine if you are affected by the recall and to make an appointment for service.
0. “Latest Ford Recall Affects 1.3 Million Sedans Including Ford Fusion, Lincoln MKZ” The Drive, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.thedrive.com/news/latest-ford-recall-affects-1-3-million-sedans-including-ford-fusion-lincoln-mkz
1. “Recall issued for over 1 million Ford Fusions and Lincoln MKZs over potential brake fluid leak” WWAY NewsChannel 3, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.wwaytv3.com/recall-issued-for-over-1-million-ford-fusions-and-lincoln-mkzs-over-potential-brake-fluid-leak/
2. “Over 1.2 Million Ford Fusions, Lincoln MKZs Recalled For Brake Problem” Motor1 , 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.motor1.com/news/657650/over-million-ford-fusions-lincoln-mkzs-recalled-brake-problem
3. “More than 1.2M vehicles affected by Ford’s recall over potentially serious brake issues” UPI News, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2023/03/16/ford-fusion-recall-lincoln-faulty-brake-issue/8921679010899
4. “Braking Bad: Ford Recalls 1.3 Million Fusions And MKZ Sedans” CarScoops, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.carscoops.com/2023/03/braking-bad-ford-recalls-1-3-million-fusions-and-mkz-sedans
5. “Ford Recalls 1.3 Million Fusions and MKZs, Again, For Brake Defect” Jalopnik, 16 Mar. 2023, https://jalopnik.com/ford-fusion-lincoln-mkz-brake-hose-leak-recall-nhtsa-1850232518
6. “Ford recalling over 1 million cars over brake hose issue” KGO-TV, 17 Mar. 2023, https://abc7news.com/ford-recall-brake-fluid-hose-fusions-lincoln-mkz/12967129
7. “Ford recalls nearly 1.3 million Fusions, Lincoln MKZs for brake hose leaks” Autoblog, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.autoblog.com/2023/03/16/ford-fusion-lincoln-mkz-recall
8. “Ford recalls more than 1 million cars over brake fluid issue” New York Daily News, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-ford-recall-mllion-cars-brake-fluid-issue-20230317-lqfctxclqfe6nouqz4op2i54vi-story.html