Ford Motor Company Recalls Over 1.2 Million Fusions and MKZs for Brake Fluid Hose Issue
Ford Motor Company is recalling over 1.2 million Ford Fusions and Lincoln MKZs from 2013 to 2018 model years due to a potential issue with their brake fluid hoses. A ruptured front brake jounce hose can cause a progressive brake fluid leak, potentially reducing the rate of deceleration and increasing the risk of a crash.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has issued the recall, which applies to 1,280,726 vehicles in the U.S., 66,000 vehicles in Canada and 18,000 vehicles in Mexico. The recall includes 1,167,825 Ford Fusions and 112,901 Lincoln MKZs.
The NHTSA says in its recall document that the front brake jounce hoses can rupture prematurely due to normal wear and tear associated with their interaction with suspension and steering hardware. The hoses were only subjected to 88 percent of total suspension movement in lifecycle testing.
A brake fluid leak can increase brake pedal travel and extend the distance needed to stop the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash. Drivers may notice a brake fluid warning light on the dashboard if a leak is detected, as well as a difference in the pedal’s feel and travel.
Ford is working on a solution for the issue and will notify owners via USPS mail starting April 17th. The company is replacing the front brake hoses free of charge and will provide a second letter once replacement parts are available.
In addition to this recall, Ford also is recalling about 280,000 F-150 pickups globally from the 2021 model year and over 220,000 2021 F-150 pickup trucks due to faulty windshield wiper motors.
Ford has had multiple brake-related recalls in recent years. Exactly one year ago, the auto giant issued a recall of approximately 215,000 pickup trucks and large SUVs located in both the U.S. and Canada due to a potential brake fluid leak. Therefore, if you own a Ford Fusion or Lincoln MKZ from 2013 to 2018, be sure to stay on top of any recall notices and contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332 if you have any questions.
0. “Ford Recalls 1.3 Million Fusions and MKZs, Again, For Brake Defect” Jalopnik, 16 Mar. 2023, https://jalopnik.com/ford-fusion-lincoln-mkz-brake-hose-leak-recall-nhtsa-1850232518
1. “Recall issued for over 1 million Ford Fusions and Lincoln MKZs over potential brake fluid leak” CBS News, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-recall-fusion-and-lincoln-mkz-brake-fluid-hose-leak-risk-of-accident
2. “Over 1.2 Million Ford Fusions, Lincoln MKZs Recalled For Brake Problem” Motor1 , 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.motor1.com/news/657650/over-million-ford-fusions-lincoln-mkzs-recalled-brake-problem
3. “Recall alert: Ford recalls more than 1 million vehicles over brake fluid hose issue” WHIO, 17 Mar. 2023, https://www.whio.com/news/trending/recall-alert-ford-recalls-more-than-1-million-vehicles-over-brake-fluid-hose-issue/US5B52VQPVCJHEVIS2S2PZCRNI/
4. “Ford recall for front brake hose issue impacts 1.2 million vehicles” WTAE Pittsburgh, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.wtae.com/article/ford-recall-front-brake-hose-issue/43342118
5. “Ford recalls: 1.3M Fusions, Lincoln MKZs called back for brakes” Automotive News, 16 Mar. 2023, https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/ford-recalls-13m-fusions-lincoln-mkzs-called-back-brakes