Investor Digest: U.S. Stocks Open Lower as Inflation Slows, Visa, Hasbro, American Express, and 3M Report Earnings
U.S. stocks opened mostly lower on Friday, as investors digested data from the Federal Reserve’s preferred gauge showing signs of inflation slowing while personal spending last month fell. The Dow Jones Industrial Average shed 0.3%, according to FactSet data, at last check. On Friday, the Bureau of Economic Analysis revealed that the personal-consumption-expenditures index went up by 0.1% in December, resulting in an inflation rate of 5% for the past year. November saw a decrease in year-over-year inflation, which dropped from 5.5%. The “core” Personal Consumption Expenditures (PCE), not including food and energy prices, rose 4.4% in the year ending December, as compared to the 4.7% rate seen in the period between November and the previous year.
Shares of Visa (V) were higher after the company reported results late Thursday. Revenue exceeded expectations, reaching $7.94 billion instead of the predicted $7.69 billion. Adjusted earnings per share were reported at $2.18, surpassing the expectation of $2.00. Ryan McInerney was declared the new chief executive officer of the company, with his tenure beginning on February 1st.
In their fiscal first quarter, Visa reported earnings that exceeded expectations. The value of V stock increased by 1% during after On Thursday, shares decreased by 0.1% to 224.71 after Mastercard (MA) released earnings that were better than anticipated. Visa’s stock is still trading within a range from the buy point of 220.08
Joining the trend of corporate layoffs, Hasbro (HAS) will be letting go of 1,000 staff members, which is 15% of the total workforce, over the course of the next few weeks. In an effort to reduce expenses by up to $300 million annually by 2025, the toymaker is taking action.
After releasing its fourth quarter net income of $1.57 billion, the stock of American Express (AXP) experienced an increase. The profit per share was $2.07. The anticipated earnings per share of American Express for the full year are estimated to be between $11 and $11.40.
3M (MMM) announced a 7% decrease in earnings per share, which did not meet expectations, and provided weak The manufacturer that offers a variety of products will be eliminating 2,500 jobs. The stock
Investor hopes for a new multi-port surgical system launch from Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) this year were dashed, causing the company’s stock to tumble. Adjusted EPS declined by 5%, falling short of expectations. Sales increased by 7%, totaling
0. “U.S. Stocks Poised for Lower Open” Barron’s, 22 Jan. 2023, https://www.barrons.com/articles/u-s-stocks-poised-for-lower-open-51674430859
1. “U.S. stocks open mostly lower as investors digest PCE inflation data” MarketWatch, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-stocks-open-mostly-lower-as-investors-digest-pce-inflation-data-2023-01-27
2. “Nasdaq, S&P, Dow waver as traders take in earnings, inflation data” Seeking Alpha, 27 Jan. 2023, https://seekingalpha.com/news/3929038-sp500-nasdaq-dow-jones-stock-market-earnings-inflation-data
3. “Stock market news live updates: Stocks rally, Intel craters, as inflation data cools” Yahoo News, 27 Jan. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/stock-market-news-live-updates-january-27-2023-131503567.html
4. “Dow Jones Futures: Market Rally Faces Big Test With Inflation Data Due; Intel Plunges | Investor’s Business Daily” Investor’s Business Daily, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.investors.com/market-trend/stock-market-today/dow-jones-futures-tesla-drives-market-rally-to-test-intel-dives-inflation-report-due/
5. “Tech Leads Stock Rebound Amid Fed Downshift Wagers: Markets Wrap” Yahoo! Voices, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.yahoo.com/now/asia-stocks-rally-tech-pulls-231753998.html
6. “Market Rally Powers Higher Amid Big Earnings: Weekly Review” Investor’s Business Daily, 27 Jan. 2023, https://www.investors.com/news/stock-market-rally-powers-higher-amid-big-earnings-from-tesla-boeing-microsoft-american-express